Every month Microsoft publishes a summary of all the new features in Power BI within their Power BI Blog. In the March 2021 post we got the opportunity to introduce our visual SMART KPI List to the Power BI community. Here you have our contribution to the Power BI Blog.
One important goal of any well designed dashboard is to inform its readers by creating one overview of all KPI’s. This requires a compact and effective way to display them all together. The SMART KPI List is created specifically for this purpose.
Why do we name it SMART? Because this visual allows everyone to create an overview of their KPI’s that is:
- Specific: the red-dot highlights the KPI’s that need immediate attention;
- Measurable: A value alone is a weak indicator of performance. A sparkline shows the trend to determine if you are moving towards your goal;
- Achievable: By comparing each result with a target you can determine if your KPI has met expectations;
- Relevant: Within the sparkline you can add a bandwidth of acceptable results which helps the user to identify “normal” and “abnormal” results in the past;
- Time-bound: The sparkline adds the required historic context to each indicator to enrich the indicators signals;
Don’t hesitate and try the SMART KPI List now on your own data by downloading it from the AppSource. All features are available for free to evaluate this visual within Power BI Desktop.