Introduction: Milestone Trend Analysis
Effective and clean supervision of your project progress
In every medium to large project there is a set of milestones. Milestones are critical moments during a project that are used to mark project progress. But we also know the dates of these milestones can change: some are brought forward and some get delayed.
These changes in milestone dates are early warning signals of challenges in your project progress. The Milestone Trend Analysis Chart for Power BI gives every project manager a clear overview of these changes. It visualizes what is and is not working in the project. It also helps to signal issues with the project scope.
Key features of the Milestone Trend Analysis Chart are:
- Visualization of milestone trends: get a clear overview of multiple milestone changes and easily detect the milestones brought forward or delayed;
- Formatting options are in line with the options you know from the Power BI Line chart, so no need to learn a new interface. And of course, theme colors and settings are supported;
- Selection & Highlighting: like in standard Power BI charts you can make use of the Selection & Highlighting functions within the Milestone Trend Analysis Chart;
- Context menu: like in standard Power BI charts you have access to the context menu to include and exclude data points;
- Full Tooltip support: Besides the default Tooltip behavior (show the value of the element you hover) you can also add additional fields to the tooltip;
- Full Bookmark support: like any of the standard visuals the Milestone Trend Analysis Chart supports Bookmarks.
How to use: Build visual
To use the Milestone Trend Analysis Chart, you need to have a dataset with at least a Milestone and two dates: the Reporting Date and the Milestone Date. The available buckets are:
- Milestone: This is the name of each Milestone as it is displayed in the legend.
- Milestone Date: The expected delivery date of the Milestone on the reporting date. This date is used for the position on the y-axis.
- Reporting Date: The date the expected delivery date is reported. This date is used for the position on the x-axis.
- Tooltips: The fields added here will show in the tooltip when the user hovers over a specific line marker.
How to use: Format visual
The Visual specific settings contain formatting properties that allow you to change the default behavior of the visual, besides the standard format sections there are a number of additional format sections that allow you to change the behavior of this visual:
- License: here you can enter your license information to disable any license reminders.
- Data colors: You can change the standard colors of each of the milestone lines here.
- Line styles: These options allow you to change the visual style of all the milestone lines. This includes the stroke width and marker size.
- X-Axis: the formatting options for the x-axis (Reporting Date axis) are similar to the options available within the Line Chart (standard Power BI visual). These familiar options allow you to change the visibility and formatting of the x-axis elements (like: title, labels, grid lines, etc.).
- Y-Axis: the formatting options for the y-axis (Milestone Date axis) are similar to the options available for the X-Axis.
- Date diagonal: the formatting settings of the diagonal line on the same Reporting and Milestone Dates. This includes line style, color and stroke width.
- Legend: Here you set the legend title, the color of the labels and text size.
The General settings contain options that affect the visual container and are consistent across all visual types. Here you can also customize the general Title and Tooltips.